KIDS LOVE COLORFUL RAINBOW CUPCAKES
They actually have their origins in America, but are now also widespread here: Colorful cupcakes in rainbow colors are not only very popular at children's parties, because they look great alone. And if the cupcakes also taste good, the cake happiness is perfect. How to prepare the colorful pastries with food coloring is explained step by step.
Rainbow Cupcakes - Instructions step by step
- 1. If possible, the batter should be filled into lined muffin tins. In this way, the finished baked goods are easier to remove and do not stick to the molds.
- 2. Before that, the oven is preheated to about 160 circulating air. Alternatively, you can set it to 180 degrees top and bottom heat.
- 3. As a basic batter for the cupcakes, a classic batter is first made. Flour, softened butter, sugar, eggs, milk, and baking powder make up the required ingredients. If desired, the dough can be refined with cinnamon or similar spices. Please note that the spices do not dominate the taste.
- 4. To get a rainbow effect are food coloring necessary. They can be used to color both the raw batter and the buttercream on the cupcakes. Either way, one bowl is needed for each rainbow color. There you mix the batter/cream with the food coloring.
- 5. Variant with colored batter: The colored batter is spooned into the muffin tins in layers so that you can see a rainbow-like progression. Place the molds in the preheated oven and bake. Do the chopstick test occasionally to check. Finally, fill a piping bag with whipped cream to decorate the cooled cupcakes.
- 6. Variant with colored cream: The colored buttercream portions are wrapped next to each other in cling film. The foil is then placed in a piping bag and dots are placed on the cooled cakes.
Rainbow cupcakes recipe ideas
There are different recipes for rainbow cupcakes, so there are two variants to choose from.
Basic recipe for batter
- 250g softened butter
- 125 grams of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 350 grams of flour
- 2-3 teaspoons baking soda
- 100ml milk
- For stirring: mixer
The other recipes are based on this basic recipe for the dough. First, mix the butter with the sugar until it has a foamy consistency. Then work the eggs into the mixture one by one, using the mixer again. Mix the flour with the baking powder and gradually drizzle in. Slowly pour the milk into the mixture.
Colorful dough recipe
Ingredients for the base
- food coloring in red, yellow, green, blue and violet
- 200 ml whipping cream (cup)
- 3 teaspoons powdered sugar
Heat the oven to around 180 degrees for a fan oven. Grease the inside of the muffin tin and dust with some flour. Make a batter according to the basic recipe above. Divide the batter evenly among five bowls. Add the food coloring and mix thoroughly with the batter.
In the next step, layer the colored batter into the individual muffin tins to create a rainbow. Place cupcakes in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes. In the meantime, do the chopstick test. Let the finished cake parts cool down, whip the cream and powdered sugar. Put the sweetened whipped cream in a piping bag to decorate the cupcakes with the rainbows.
Recipe with colored buttercream
Ingredients for the base
- Food colors as indicated in the first example
- 125 g butter (room temperature)
- 100 g powdered sugar
- 125 g cream cheese
Preheat the oven again, grease muffin tins and make a batter. Process the butter and powdered sugar into a cream. Add the cream cheese to the mixture and fold in immediately. Divide the buttercream between five bowls and color in portions. Refrigerate a little if necessary. Fill muffin molds with the batter, place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Take out the cakes and let them cool down. Then proceed as in step 6 (see 'Buttercream variant').
Variant with chocolate dough
For a chocolate dough, 100 g instant cocoa powder is lifted under the batter. When it comes to decoration, there are no limits to the imagination. The more colorful the cupcakes end up looking, the better. Colored sprinkles and chocolate chips, sugar pearls or wine gums are suitable as decorative accessories. On birthdays you can crown the rainbow cupcakes with candles.